Friday, August 21, 2009

Payday

I got paid today. This one paycheck is officially the largest sum of money ever in my possession at one time (excluding a loan I had to take out). I mean, it's not really a big deal or anything....

No, just kidding. It is a big deal. A real big deal. I'm ecstatic.

I also learned how to use the ATM today. In short, you stick your bank statement book in the hole, throw a bunch of money in another hole, and then take out your newly-printed-on statement book and salivate over your balance.

Then, Marisa and I did the next logical thing. Shopping! I bought some new clothes, a new wallet, a hand towel, and a DS game.

We took a night-time bike ride, too. Also a lot of fun.

Let me rewind a little: I actually did a little bit of work today. I met with two of my elementary school teachers from Gongendogawa Elementary School to discuss lesson plans. Elementary school teaching is going to be a blast. Singing, playing games, etc. I'm down for that.

And now, I leave you with something that made me laugh and laugh and laugh, but that you probably won't think is very funny. At one of the stores we visited today, there was a make-up case that had a picture of a fat, ugly man with long hair, lying on his side with a roll in his mouth with text next to him that said "NEET: I do not move". 'NEET' is a British acronym which stands for "No Employment, Education, or Training" and has become very popular with a Japanese as a way to refer to their growing population of 'hikikomori', social shut-ins who, if you get right down to it, 'do not move'. The juxtaposition of image and text... I couldn't help myself. I lol'd hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment